Unit of Reproductive Endocrinology
1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
“Papageorgiou” General Hospital
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
+30 2310 233468
Members of the groupProf. Dimitrios G. Goulis (Associate professor of Reproductive Endocrinology)
Equipment and facilities of the group and centre
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology [one of the largest departments of Obs/Gyn in Greece, >1500 deliveries per year, all subspecialties: IVF unit (ESHRE-accredited), Laparoscopy, Oncology (ESGO-accredited), Fetal-Maternal Medicine, Uro-Gynecology, Reproductive Endocrinology (EAA-accredited), Reproductive Biology)]
- Laboratory [fully equipped, located at “Papageorgiou” General Hospital, all laboratories: Hematology, Biochemistry, Immunology]
- Imaging [fully equipped, located at “Papageorgiou” General Hospital, facilities: MRI, CT, US, DEXA, interventional Radiology)
- Standard research facilities
Topics of interest
- Metabolic complications of pregnancy
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Obesity and Reproduction
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Lipodystrophy: Time for a global registry and randomized clinical trials to assess efficacy, safety and cost-effectiveness of established and novel medications.
- Polyzos SA, Mantzoros CS. Metabolism. 2017 Jul;72:A4-A10.
- Circulating leptin in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Polyzos SA, Aronis KN, Kountouras J, Raptis DD, Vasiloglou MF, Mantzoros CS. Diabetologia. 2016 Jan;59(1):30-43.
- Leptin in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a narrative review. Polyzos SA, Kountouras J, Mantzoros CS. Metabolism. 2015 Jan;64(1):60-78.
- Leptin at the intersection of neuroendocrinology and metabolism: current evidence and therapeutic perspectives. Dalamaga M, Chou SH, Shields K, Papageorgiou P, Polyzos SA, Mantzoros CS. Cell Metab. 2013 Jul 2;18(1):29-42.
- Leptin's role in lipodystrophic and nonlipodystrophic insulin-resistant and diabetic individuals. Moon HS, Dalamaga M, Kim SY, Polyzos SA, Hamnvik OP, Magkos F, Paruthi J, Mantzoros CS. Endocr Rev. 2013 Jun;34(3):377-412.
- The potential adverse role of leptin resistance in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a hypothesis based on critical review of the literature. Polyzos SA, Kountouras J, Zavos C, Deretzi G. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2011 Jan;45(1):50-4.
- Cytokines and male infertility. Syriou V, Papanikolaou D, Kozyraki A, Goulis DG. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2018 Sep 1;29(3):73-82. doi: 10.1684/ecn.2018.0412. PMID: 30547889
- Early menopause and premature ovarian insufficiency are associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Anagnostis P, Christou K, Artzouchaltzi AM, Gkekas NK, Kosmidou N, Siolos P, Paschou SA, Potoupnis M, Kenanidis E, Tsiridis E, Lambrinoudaki I, Stevenson JC, Goulis D. Eur J Endocrinol. 2018 Oct 1. pii: EJE-18-0602.R1. doi: 10.1530/EJE-18-0602. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30400047
- The complex association between metabolic syndrome and male hypogonadism. Dimopoulou C, Goulis DG, Corona G, Maggi M. Metabolism. 2018 Sep;86:61-68. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2018.03.024. Epub 2018 Apr 12. PMID: 29656047
- Serum Leptin, Resistin, and Adiponectin Concentrations in Psoriasis: A Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies. Kyriakou A, Patsatsi A, Sotiriadis D, Goulis DG. Dermatology. 2017;233(5):378-389. doi: 10.1159/000481882. Epub 2017 Dec 13. Review. PMID: 29232663